Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Four socket in old house not powering devices

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 12:18:27 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 10:51:35 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 09:02:59 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

A couple days ago, I got called to a friend's
house to troubleshoot a four outlet wall
socket, which wasn't operating plug in devices.
My three bulb tester said B-N was barely there,
neon bulb was flickering. B-G was not powered,
and of course N had no power, so N-G was show
no neon bulb light.

New socket (recently put in) with orange 14 ga
romex. Circuit panel was fairly new, and this
circuit was supplied with new orange 14-2 Romex.
I think I found the problem. Anyone want to guess
what it was?

I'm going back to work on it in a couple days,
will post follow up.

BTW, I'm not being racist when I say that N had
no power, and N-G is open.

Orange is 10 ga

Not always. There is still no mandated standard for cable sheath
colours.

I have seen lots of romex and I have never seen orange that was
anything but 10 gauge. There is white, blue and black romex out there
over the years that can be any size.
When Southwire came out with yellow and orange, it became the defacto
industry standard.