Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Cat5e or what?

On 28/01/2016 11:08, Huge wrote:
On 2016-01-28, John Rumm wrote:
On 27/01/2016 15:03, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 27/01/2016 13:37, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

However I once worked on an office build where 2 points were provided
for PCs and Phones. They'd forgotten each user had their own laser
printer which (due to the house system software) had to be installed
networked.

To my mind, there's always a power supply at every data outlet and when
a 4 port Gigabit switch costs less than £20 there's little point in
running loads of extra wire. Far neater to have a single wire coming out
of the wall to a switch hidden behind something.

Its not too bad in domestic situations. In offices, switches floating
about like that soon get kicked too often or otherwise knackered, and
the network reliability starts to fall.

Or, as happened to me once, someone "tidies it away" and then calls IT as to
why nothing in the office works any more.

Yup, had that...

and someone who crated a network storm on a lan by deciding that a loose
RJ45 really ought to be plugged into something - and ended up creating a
loopback on an old hub that did not spot the problem and attempted to
forward the forwarded packet forever more!

--
Cheers,

John.