Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default OT enlarging photo

| My sister emailed me (Gmail) ancient family photo. I'd like to make it
| bigger - my printout clicking on the DLed photo yields a picture about
half
| an 8 x 11 printer page. Anyone know a simple way to make the print larger?
| Hints? Suggestions? I'm unfamiliar with working with (photoshopping)
| pictures.

You mean that she emailed a JPG file and
you want to print it on paper? Download
the free IrfanView. Open the image in it.
Go to File - Print. It will provide various
options.

http://www.irfanview.com/main_start_engl.htm

IrfanView is a beautifully made program that';s
very compact. It's like the poor man's Photoshop,
capable of numerous functions like resize, brighten,
contrast, etc.

If you want to resize the digital image
you should convert to BMP file first. IrfanView
can also do that. JPG format is "lossy". Every
time you save it, the image is compressed by
dropping out data. Even if you don't specifically
compress it further, merely saving as JPG will
lose data. To avoid that, work in BMP and only
save as JPG if you need to email the photo or
use it online.

Note that there are limits to what you can do
with an image. And a lot of it depends on the
quality and size of the image as you received it.
Printing is typically 300 dots per inch. If you have
an image 600w x 300h on your computer screen
it's probably less than 100 dpi, so it may display
6-8" wide. But if you print that image it will come
out 2" x 1". (600 x 300 \ 300dpi) If you wanted to
print it, say, 6" x 3" you could do that with
IrfanView, but the quality would be very poor.

If you have an image in the range of 2400 x
3300 pixels you can probably print that 8x11",
but even then it will depend on the quality of
the image. Have you noticed that some photos
have tiny rectangles or squares visible in the
image? Those are known as artifacts. It's the
result of excessive compression of the image.
Once that kind of damage is done there's no way
to recapture the image data that was lost.