Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_7_] Muggles[_7_] is offline

Default OT enlarging photo

On 1/28/2016 11:08 AM, philo wrote:
On 01/28/2016 10:47 AM, KenK wrote:
My sister emailed me (Gmail) ancient family photo. I'd like to make it
bigger - my printout clicking on the DLed photo yields a picture about
half
an 8 x 11 printer page. Anyone know a simple way to make the print
larger?
Hints? Suggestions? I'm unfamiliar with working with (photoshopping)
pictures.

TIA

I have just spent three full months scanning my negatives because at the
age of 66 I have finally been recognized as a photographer and now have
a fine arts dealer to represent me.

In short, all you have to do is resize the photo to 8 x 11

Note: Although any photo software can do that, unless you use a good
program such as Photoshop *which can re-sample the image* you will lose
information when the size is increased and you will have a poor print.

A good simple and easy to use program is iRfanview.

Even though it's free, it's very good and I sent the guy a contribution

Here are instructions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...ing-irfanview/

Here is where you can get IRfanview

http://www.irfanview.com/

Note: Before you begin, have the person email you a decent sized jpeg if
they have not already done so.

If it's a 75k file for example, there will just plain not be enough info
to work with...you'd want a file size to begin with of at least 1 meg or so

Making a small image larger will rarely produce a quality image. OTOH,
resizing will work if you have a large image and want to make it smaller.

If you only have a smaller version of an image to print, print that
image, take a photo of it making sure the dimension settings are larger,
and the copy "negative" of the smaller image will usually print larger
photos and maintain the image quality.

--
Maggie