Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair
The Real Bev[_2_] The Real Bev[_2_] is offline

Default They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

On 2016-01-27, The Real Bev wrote:
On 01/26/2016 06:11 AM, chris wrote:
On 22/01/2016 22:47, The Real Bev wrote:
This **** is why usenet has so few viable groups left. Do you
really
want to kill this one too?

That's what killfiles are for. You never need to hear from the
trolls/idiots/flamers again.

Of course. It's also possible to just not look at things. But when
the
overwhelming majority of posts are pure trash, reasonable people
just
stop reading. I'm tougher than most, I don't give up easily, and I
know how useless taking a group moderated can be. If people would
just
stop responding to the ****heads (clearly an impossibility, as
history
shows) the problem would disappear; unfortunately, it's more likely
that the group disappears.

Of the groups into which this is x-posted, I only read
comp.mobile.android. I really hope that this crap doesn't kill that
group.

People have been trying and failing to kill Usenet for a long, long
time. I wouldn't worry about it.

The groups that I reallly liked and was involved with are all dead.
Perhaps people just find facebook easier to deal with. Or more
pleasant.
Or something.

What has actually happened is that almost no one has even
heard of usenet, so inevitably it fades away as people die off
or stop using it.

Few used it even when it was highly active.

And few had even heard about it even then.

When I rode on the ski
lifts with strangers I asked them if they ever used any of the skiing or
other newsgroups. Granted, a small sample -- maybe 100 people, if
that --
but you'd think that ONE might have been an addict. Nope.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if almost none of them had even heard about
it.

Exactly. The closest response was "You mean like myspace?"

For swift help from strangers, many of whom are actually qualified to
offer it, nothing has even come close.

You clearly don’t use facebook. Even with the most basic question
like what shops are open on Xmas day or who is the best vet to
get a pet microchipped at most cheaply, you normally get an
answer very quickly, even if you ask at say 4am.

Most of my FB friends live in other states and are unlikely to know such
things.

I wasn’t talking about facebook friends.

What do you mean?

The local facebook group. Ours is called 'xxxxxx community notice board'

In my experience with other 'local' non-facebook groups, 'local' people
for my locality are... inexpert.

--
Cheers,
Bev