Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Cat5e or what?

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 16:51:05 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Slowest annoyance will be the upstream from his internet

connection.
It's going to be a fair while before an upstream of 100Mbps

becomes
commonplace let alone Gbps.

I wouldn't be to sure, it's not a great leap to put GPON in the
cabinet instead of VDSL. The problem is installing the fibre from
cabinet to existing premises, new build on the other hand...

If there's one thing computing history teaches, it's that performance
goes up far far more than people intuitively expect, and what seems
wildly extravagant today is a basic necessity tomorrow, and resigned to
the history bin as hopeless not long after.

I still remember drooling over 1200/75 and 10M networking.

It's only just over 10 years ago that ADSL appeared here, that's
ADSL2 "up to 8 Mbps" not ADSL2+, we get around 5 Mbps. It's starting
to feel "slow", but we are too far from the exchange/cabinet for
ADSL2+ or VDSL to improve things. Roll on FTTRN or better, sensible
prices for FTTPoD ...

Before ADSL that we had ISDN, only ever used a single channel so a
massive 64 kbps and nice step up from dialup at 28.8 kbps or up to 56
kbps compressed. Seemed OK at the time but can you imagine trying to
use the modern web at 64 kbps? With sites that use 500 k bytes of
javascript just to display "hello world". As for streaming video or
even downloading, 1 G Byte (roughly the size of 1 hours HD iPlayer)
would take over 36 hours to download...

I can remember a Windows "upgrade" that took over 3 hours to download!

Use used to get about 2.5Mbps on ADSL, then came ADSL2+ which doubled that
- on a good day. I'm aqbout 2km from th exchange. In the autumn I went for
FTTC (which is about 100m away) 79Mbps!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England