Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Why Closing your Air Vents Will NOT Save you Money???

On 1/27/2016 6:48 PM, Micky wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 10:23:05 -0500, Micky
wrote:

I think it will save money, especially if those rooms have outside
walls, as I'm sure the bedrooms do. More later.

Of course you have to close the doors to those rooms, and I noticed a
lot of coldness at the crack at the bottom of the door, so you
probably should put a rolled up towel at the open crack.

What if you just MEASURE it?

I monitor my furnace run-time and graph it in real time.
I can tell from the graph when I turned on my computer and
added another 200W of heat.

I don't remember the numbers, but I did the experiment and
determined that closing off the vents and closing the doors
made significant reduction in gas consumption.

BUT!!!
My house is tight...tighter than the minimum standards for
air changes/hour according to the guy with the blower door.
If you've got leaks, it's hard to predict, but you can
measure it.