Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Why Closing your Air Vents Will NOT Save you Money???

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 2:23:53 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 12:50:02 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
"taxed and spent" writes:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

The heat loss in that room is less when the room is cold than when it is
heated. So the return air you pull back has lost less heat with the
supply ducts closed.

I have returns in all bedrooms, 2 in the living room and 1 in the family
room.

The filter is "in" the furnace, right at the main return trunk where all
returns meet.

you have REGISTERS in each room.

Actually, I suspect he really does have returns in each room. That's quite
common[*]. I've lived in several houses that have a register and a return in
each room, generally on the opposite side of the room with the register low
and the return high on the wall.

[*] To ensure proper airflow when the door is closed.

I don't know why you would suspect that. I already posted the list of
specific rooms that have returns.

I was responding, obviously from the quotes, to the soi disant "taxed and spent"
who "corrected" you, incorrectly.

You don't typically see returns in bathrooms, kitchens or basements.

Typically? I've seen more than one house where the basement _was_
the return (the returns in the main floor were simply open to the
basement).

Typically, as in "generally or normally". Would you say you have seen
more houses "where the basement _was_ the return" or more houses where
the returns are part of a ducted system?

BTW...in my house, the first floor return "ducts" are the basement
joist bays which are covered with sheet metal and taped along the edges.
If I were remove the sheet metal, then my main floor ducts would indeed
be open to the basement.

I wonder...was my house "upgraded" from open returns or were the "more
than one house" that you have seen downgraded by having the sheet metal
removed? Curious.

Bathrooms have, by code, exhaust vents.

Kitchens seldom have doors.

My comment was based on *your* comment "I suspect he does have returns
in each room". "Each", at least to me, mean "all".