Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Retro fitting gas burners in coal power plants.

On 27/01/2016 13:14, Andrew wrote:
On 27/01/2016 09:37, newshound wrote:
On 27/01/2016 08:50, wrote:
I've long been suggesting building nuclear steam raising plant
alongside the coal boilers. The turbines, switchgear, control room,
cooling towers, grid connections and workforce are already in place.
To the OP don't imagine a pulverised fuel coal fired power station
boiler bears much resemblance to a domestic or even an industrial
unit. If you contact your nearest station and ask if they have an open
day coming up or if you could be attached to an organised tour I'm
sure they would oblige. I toured Drax in the 1970s with one of the
station engineers and it's an impressive site. Everything from the
"merry go round" coal delivery system to the 400kv switchfarm gates.
Even thinking of shutting it is just plain crazy.

Except that 40 year old turbo alternators, CW systems, switchgear etc
are coming to the end of their life.

Easy to refurbish though. New bearings in the generators etc.

The DRAX merry-go-round came to an end recently when the last deep mine
closed. Now all the fuel is imported.

Not from the industry, are you, Andrew Mike and John.

Ever tried running an old car? Eventually there are so many failing bits
that it just isn't worth the effort, assuming you have the option to
replace it with something.