Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Cat5e or what?

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 10:55:41 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 12:37:16 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

A mate is in the process of fitting out a new shop and has asked

me
what he should do about running network points around the shop.

Cable is cheap, labour/access to install it isn't. If there is a need
for a network point fit two and two cables (1 Gb uses all four
pairs).

What sort of money are we looking at for a 305m roll of solid copper
Cat5e please. I've seen all sorts of prices mentioned but I'm
interested what people in the know are *actually* paying?

cat5e is good up to gigabit, but can't see him needing faster than
10/100 really, if he goes for cat6 the cable needs larger band radius
and is thicker, also outlets and patch panels may be more expensive.

And is less tolerant of being pulled and kinked during installation.

And I know *I* would be careful doing that, I can't vouch for anyone
else.

CAT5e will be fine but ensure it is copper not CCS or CCA. Might be
worth checking if the CCTV is going to use PoE IP cameras or coax and
twisted pair.

In the other shop it's coax but it has been in there a while now.

Personally I'd be looking hard at IP based CCTV
solutions, there are some pretty highspec cameras out there for not
many pennies. Ones with on board recording, PIR detection, IR
illumination, 3 M pixel or more resolution.

Understood. I'm not advising on that side of it so out of my hands.
That said, if he is offered a choice he may well ask for my advice /
opinion but it's likely to come down to price and his perception of
value to him.

Cheers, T i m