Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Cat5e or what?

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 00:27:22 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 23:48:50 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 26/01/2016 20:41, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 20:35:55 +0000, Eednud wrote:

Can I just ask a stupid question here...

While there are times and places where the difference between 10Gb and
100Gb and 40m or 100m are relevant, is this even vaguely one of them?

Since some people have suggested installing CAT6 and above, it is
perhaps important to highlight what extra that will achieve. Hopefully
most will see the answer (from the OPs stated requirements) ought to be
"none".

Indeed. OTOH I remember when 10M was amazingly fast. Whatever goes in will become obsolete, make sure it's all fairly easy to replace.

Nearly all our kit is Gb (NIC's / Switches etc) and much of the cable
still Cat3 and it all seems to work (at least) ok.

When my server runs a daily backup on this XP Mac Mini it makes it run
very slow so the bottleneck is probably just the machine / OS.

Cheers, T i m