Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Cat5e or what?

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 00:30:06 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Can't comment on the vagaries or benefits of cat5/6 but in practice I use el cheapo (ebay) cat 5e for my cctv around the farm.

Ok.

Just run inaccessible routes in tube to enable drawing through replacements in the event of damage etc.

I will insist my mate runs all cable that is likely to be covered in a
conduit of some kind and if sharing a conduit with some power, it
would be suitably isolated by the conduit etc.

Cable around twelve quid a hundred metres,

So that's likely to be to copper covered steel John?

tubing anything to hand.

It's a farm, that's how it is eh? ;-)

I've got one cable carrying three locally powered cameras with the fourth one of the pairs for ptz control in the future.

Cool.

One of my runs to the front gate is 85 metres.

That's quite a run but has the advantage of being in an electrically
'quiet' environment (not that the cable material should have any
impact on that).

Cheers, T i m