Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Cat5e or what?

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 20:41:24 +0000 (UTC), Adrian
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 20:35:55 +0000, Eednud wrote:

Cat 5e will give Gb speed and Cat 6 will give 10Gb up to 40m between
Switch and Outlet.

IIRC, CAT5e should do 10G up to 40m, and 100m for CAT6

That is incorrect. Cat 5e is only certified to 1Gb.

If Cat6 does 10Gb up to 100m, then what speeds do you think you get with
Cat6A?

Can I just ask a stupid question here...

While there are times and places where the difference between 10Gb and
100Gb and 40m or 100m are relevant, is this even vaguely one of them?

Just to go back to the original question...

A mate is in the process of fitting out a new shop

He doesn't need much bandwidth as it will only be a bit of web
browsing, possibly some cloud based POS and remote access to his CCTV

FWIW, maximum run from router / switch to socket will be about 20m (as
the cable runs).

Thanks for the reality check Adrian. ;-)

Yes, whilst I agree there may be a time when people often need 'more
speed', I can't see this particular installation being one of them.
So, I think it makes sense (to me anyway) to stick with the more
bread_and_butter range of kit as I can't see anything better being
appreciated. I'm also sure that any complication, cost or delay that
could be avoided by going for a more 'common' solution wouldn't be
appreciated either.

Anyway, loads of interesting thoughts and useful information as usual
so thanks to all who replied. ;-)

'Muggins' will probably be the one connecting it all up but I don't
mind as I (still) enjoy that sort of thing (and it will save my Krone
tool from going rusty).

Depending on the number of 'ends' they need (and I like the idea of
'doubling up' on any cable runs) we might use a small patch panel at
the router end and if not, just a few double RJ45 sockets.

All he needs (for the sparks who also does his CCTV stuff so isn't a
complete stranger to running 'other' cables) is the actual UTP cable
and so I'll make sure they get full fat copper. ;-)

Cheers, T i m