Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default 2CVs (was screw through clips: u clips, spire clips?)

On 26/01/2016 21:19, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 25/01/2016 08:35, Adrian wrote:
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 21:32:50 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

shrug
I've always found the best solution to such fears is "Don't crash".
Simple.

The other day I saw a stopped truck on the other side of the road.
Behind the truck was a car with a slightly damaged bonnet.

And a slightly more damaged boot.

Half a dozen cars behind was a mangled mess of metal that might once
have been a car or a van, with another truck pressed firmly into the
remains.

With a 2CV you would of course be more likely to be in the truck lane
than the other one on that dual carriageway...

Migod. This explains why I've been killed to death at least seventy-three
times over the third of a century I've been driving 2cvs, across the US
and from the southern tip of Greece to Northern Scandinavia...

You've been lucky - and probably good as well. The guy in the
van/car/whatever wasn't.

I've only been tailgated once in ... lets think... half a million miles
or so. That doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow. A colleague of mine
was braking for some roadworks, and looked in his mirror. Swerved into
the cones, and watched the car he'd been following get tailgated.

Are you using the word "tailgated" differently to the way I normally
understand it? Normally "tailgating" is driving close, not sure what I'd
use for actually being hit.