Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default Abysmal workmanship

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 08:39:52 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"OFWW" wrote in message ...

Many of the people out there touring are 50+... I've met many in their 60s
and 70s. See the journals here for inspiration!
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...octype=journal

Well there went a couple hours, reading and viewing bike trips.

If I did any at my age they'd be day trips, like bike trails, you
know, leisurely stuff for my wife and I. I really like wood working
and playing with scraps for joints and things. That, plus getting my
garage work area cleared up.

I don't know where you are, but the Erie Canalway Trail and Katy Trail are
both fairly long and relatively flat. The Canalway trail follows the Erie
Canal tow path much of the way and the other is a rail trail... From
experience I know the Canalway trail can be ridden end to end as a credit
card trip, i.e., stay in B&Bs, motels, etc. and taken at a leisurely pace.
Parks and Trails NY also runs an annual fully supported tour of the trail as
well as offering a guide book. http://www.ptny.org/cycle-the-erie-canal
The Katy Trail seems to offer the same opportunities
http://www.bikekatytrail.com/ In the future I anticipate the trail network
in NY to be pretty well built out such that you'll be able to get from NYC
to the Ulster County/Delaware County line on rail trails and other multi-use
trails. The East Coast Greenway is filling in with a lot of off-road
sections and we can anticipate this to continue into the future.
http://www.greenway.org/

Any of the long trails can be ridden in segments over time so you may have
viable options from which to choose.

Thanks for the link, I saved it, and evidently it has stuff from
around the world. Should be real interesting.

Some of the trips and people are so interesting that you'll find yourself
going back every day for updates... and burning lots of time! ;~)

No doubt I will be. I'll also check out the links you posted.

I live in Ventura County about a mile and a half from the ocean from
two directions, close to three, and while we have off road trails, we
only have a few of the nicer sort. Sometimes I go hunting for bike
rides on the net, especially of the helmet camera variety. You can see
a lot this way. I need to lose weight, after retiring I put on far
more than I should, then maybe some of the rides might be a
possibility. (I love to cook)