Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Cat5e or what?

On 26/01/2016 16:33, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 16:12:37 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

if you gonna truely future proof don't use enthernet cable of any
kind use fibra optic cable.

If you do that, you'll spend a fortune on fibre capable switches,
SFPs, and NICs or media converters ... unless there's an identified
need for 10 gigabit speed (and I'd be amazed if the owner was just
asking a mate if there were) I'd stick with cat5e.

I would too I wouldn't bother with cat6, but then again I wouldn't
bother with cat5e either. Unless I know I rely need fast speed or was
planing on playing games I'd use wireless throughout. Brought one of
these TP link things to go into another room. How many people need
1GB or even 500MB ?

I would say for domestic stuff pretty much everyone. There is no real
cost disadvantage going with 1G ethernet, and it will be standard on any
PC less than say 5 years old. For small business use, in some cases its
less important, but there is still no point not.

In many cases Wireless is a right PITA (patchy coverage, drop outs, slow
downs at peak times when all the neighbours are making heavy use of it
etc).

10/100 is not always fast enough if you are doing much streaming of
video content over a home network, it also can't keep pace with the data
serving rate from even a basic NAS box. Lastly if you do need to move
bulk data (say a 5GB image of a DVD), then you really notice the
difference in transfer rate.

--
Cheers,

John.