Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Cat5e or what?

On 26/01/2016 11:32, T i m wrote:
Hi All,

A mate is in the process of fitting out a new shop and has asked me
what he should do about running network points around the shop.

He electrician is going to do it but I'm not sure what to advise re
the network cabling.

He doesn't need much bandwidth as it will only be a bit of web
browsing, possibly some cloud based POS and remote access to his CCTV
so would Cat5e still be ok or should is Cat6 as easy / straightforward
to use and more 'future proof please?

CAT5e will be adequate for most applications for some time to come. If
well cabled you can get 10Gig ethernet down it although with length
limitations (probably no more than 40m). Having said that 10G ethernet
does not seem popular yet, is still pricey and very power hungry.

CAT6 is more expensive, harder to work with etc, and is unlikely to buy
much advantage in this application.

FWIW, maximum run from router / switch to socket will be about 20m (as
the cable runs).

Stick in more cables than he needs - even if they are not all terminated
up to start with. Always run at least a pair of cables to any one point.

p.s. And assuming he doesn't need loads, where would be the easiest
place for him to order / get it all from (cable and sockets etc)
please?

These folks are good:

http://www.comms-express.com/

Failing that TLC have a small range of network stuff.

Get the Excel branded patch panels and CAT5 full depth modules (needs
the bevelled edge face plate for depth) - they are a little bit more
expensive than budget ones, but so much nice and faster to wire.

http://www.comms-express.com/product...ttered-module/

(from simple things like being marked with only the TIA-568B colour
coding, so you are not always stopping to think which set of colours you
are matching, to the more subtle like the way the CAT5 wires push into
the terminals with a nice positive feel and stay put before punching down).

Make sure you order proper copper CAT5e and not CCA or CCS.

p.p.s. My house is still mainly the Cat3 I installed a long time ago
which was the 'in thing' over Cheapernet! ;-)

Handy for pulling through some CAT5e ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.