Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cat5e or what?

On Tuesday, 26 January 2016 16:12:37 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

if you gonna truely future proof don't use enthernet cable
of any kind use fibra optic cable.

If you do that, you'll spend a fortune on fibre capable switches, SFPs,
and NICs or media converters ... unless there's an identified need for
10 gigabit speed (and I'd be amazed if the owner was just asking a mate
if there were) I'd stick with cat5e.

I would too I wouldn't bother with cat6, but then again I wouldn't bother with cat5e either. Unless I know I rely need fast speed or was planing on playing games I'd use wireless throughout.
Brought one of these TP link things to go into another room. How many people need 1GB or even 500MB ?

Maybe I'll wait until quantum cat cables come about.