Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Need advice on ice maker valve replacement

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 5:23:48 PM UTC-5, Peabody wrote:
The ice maker inlet valve on my 1979 Whirlpool fridge finally died. I can't
explain why it failed so quickly.

Anyway, I ordered what's supposed to be the correct replacement valve, which
is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381506821667

However, this one has a quick connect fitting for the water supply line, but
the instructions are for an apparently earlier model with screw fittings. I
have no experience with quick connect fittings, and don't quite knpw what to
do.

My water line is your standard 1/4" poly tubing. Do I just stuff that into
the QC opening, or do I have to transition to copper first? And if the poly
is ok, do I need to insert one of those anti-collapse sleeves into the tubing
first?

Thanks for any suggestions.

What do the instructions say? I see both a copper compression type
fitting nut and a plastic nut in the bag. Plus the valve has two
ends. I would think the valve would accommodate both copper and
plastic supply lines.