Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.os.linux,alt.home.repair
Ken Cito Ken Cito is offline

Default Why TP-Link Archer C5 router can't restablish without maccloning

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 01:58:50 +0100, Melzzzzz wrote:

Router does not needs mac address from laptop, rather cable modem...
I think they are lying. Either that or you have to reset cable modem in
order to accept different mac address...

I am still confused. Sorry. I just don't get *why* any cloning is needed.

Here is the screenshot of the router setup that is currently working:
https://i.imgur.com/IUZ0AIG.jpg

I don't want to touch anything.

I just want to understand why/which/what mac address cloning is
necessary to get it working once the power goes down.

The now-cloned MAC address of C4:E9:84:3D:9E:8C is a TP-Link OIC.
It's not the mac address of the Costco Arris/Motorola modem.

So, what I don't get is *who* needs the mac address cloned?
Why?