Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Kaz Kylheku[_2_] Kaz Kylheku[_2_] is offline

Default Audio Power Amplifier Solid State Relay

On 2016-01-25, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

this is really annoying, but a good opportunity to learn something useful.

I have an old Urei Power Amp that needs its DPDT 10A speaker output relay
replacing.
It's annoying because the relay fitted has a totally non conventional pin
configuration, so the usual generic cheap replacement is going to involve
drilling holes in the PCB and isolating pads and using glue and stuff
because some solder pads will have to go etc.

You could make a small PCB for the relay, and mount that somewhere.
(E.g. standoffs rising from main PCB.) Then connect that to the original
pads with hookup wires.

So I thought about maybe using Solid State relays, which should be
physically smaller and lighter, and could be mounted in little patches of
available free space.

I've never seen a solid state relay in a Power Amp. Maybe there's a good
reason for that - AC transmission, Inductive loads, back emf etc.

Possibly also: distortion.