Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default SOLVED! Circuit breaker keeps tripping

In ,
typed:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 19:04:40 -0500, "TomR"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 10:54:21 -0500, "TomR"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 23:35:44 -0500, "TomR"
wrote:

That's what the "drip loop" is there for. Around here if the
inspector doesn't find that "drip loop" he is very likely to
give you a deficiency report.

On the property where I had the water-inside-panel problem,
there is a drip
loop up at the top of what I think maybe is called the mast head
(or something like that), where the power line from the pole
meets the service
drop that goes down into the top of the meter box.

Where it comes out of the bottom of the meter box, there is no
drip loop.
It just runs down into the building and into the top of the
electric panel.
I don't know that I have ever seen a drip loop on that part of
the service
line coming into a building (below the meter), but I never
really looked carefully to see if there is a drip loop there.
Since the water was coming
from inside the meter box (getting in through the top of the
meter box), and
was running INSIDE the wire going from there to the panel, I
don't know if
drip loop in that line would have prevented the problem of water
getting into the panel inside the house.

If the wire from the meter droops below the conduit exiting the
meter box to the inside of the building, water cannot follow the
wire into the building and into the panel.

I may be wrong about this, but I think the purpose of a drip loop
is to have
water that is on the outside of the wire drip off at the low point
of the loop rather than running down on the outside of the wire
into a structure etc.

The water is not IN the conduit. It gets into the meter box, and
with no drip loop the water runs down the cable into the conduit
(which goes out the back of the meter box), With the loop, it runs
down the wire to the bottom of the loop and drips off - then runs
out drainage hole at the bottom of the meter box.

Maybe we are not both talking about the same thing. I am not
exactly sure what the term "conduit" means, but in my case I was
using the term "conduit" to mean the heavy gauge, gray-wrapped,
"service feed" that runs from the bottom of the meter box down into
the building and into the top of the electrical panel inside the
basement. It is the same kind and gauge of cable as the service
drop that comes down along the outside of the building and goes into
the top of the meter box.

Using my definition of "conduit" to mean that cable that runs from
the bottom of meter box down into the building and into the top of
the panel, my "conduit" DID have water running INSIDE that conduit
and into the panel. The water was not running down the outside of
the "conduit", it was INSIDE the gray-wrapped cable and came out of
the inside of that gray-wrapped cable and dripped into the panel.

Not what I was talking about at all --

Sorry to keep dragging this out, and I am not trying to be argumentative,
but what WERE you talking about? -- in particular when you used the term
"conduit". Thanks.