Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default lubricant for sanding aluminum

fired this volley in
:

I've read that candle wax can be used. Also read bar soap can be
used. Which is better? Does either really work well?

I cannot speak to sanding. We use Gulf Wax (paraffin) on saws to cut
screen room framing (which is thin-walled stuff, and will bend and
'snipe' if the blade hangs or an extra-large chip stuck to the blade hits
a surface).

I once had a surplus metals dealer cut a 3" slab of aluminum for me with
a hand-held circular saw, using liberal amounts of Gulf Wax rubbed on the
blade and on the surface of the work as he proceeded.

Lloyd