Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default Abysmal workmanship

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 06:43:15 -0500, Mike Marlow
wrote:

OFWW wrote:

I'm in Calif. I did commercial industrial HVAC, we had a lot of Hotels
and a few motels under contract for years From SB to SD and to all the
inland area's.

I was writing about the bulk of the jobs on renovations I have
personally seen. Anything new that was computer controlled was done by
outside contractors, but I have seen in house employee's even doing
copper re piping up to 4" dia. Thus circumventing the need for
inspectors.

I really doubt it is much different in Texas, as the major hotels and
motel chains are all controlled by their corporate offices, all who
would squeeze a buffalo nickel until it took a dump.

Failed. I was trying to be humorous with the Texas statement. Guess it
did not come through.

From what little time I've spent in Texas, I've taken them as serious
folk for the most part. So I wasn't sure.

I do agree to some extent with your thoughts on house employees and the
quality of workmanship, but I don't generally see them doing renovations
- repairs, but not renovations. Those are usually contracted out.

Around here, not at the motels, but at the hotels where they have a
crew of 5-6 guys days, and 3-4 evenings I've seen way too many working
way over their heads. Non-union, usually limited skill sets, but
that's not to say they aren't serious or trying to degrading them.
They all want to eat and feed their families so they will do as asked.

I've seen way too much, and have way too many stories, even from the
most unlikeliest places like the finest in Beverly Hills, and Palm
springs.

Anyhow, now I've finally got the time to do some wood working and
hoping to make some fine furniture pieces as I learn. Something I have
wanted to do from High School days. So I should just probably stick to
that. (and SketchPro)