Dale Shuttleworth

Default Earthing

Hi,

Sparks ) wrote:

[...]

: Phone the electricity co and ask to be converted to PME. You must not do
: this work yourself. Legally, it is the elec co's cable. Technically, they
: must confirm that their neutral is continuous back to the substation and
: suitable for PME use. Commonsensically, it involves opening up the incomer
: and exposing the incoming cable before the service fuse.
:
: Okay, I did think this would be the case here
: I was wondering if i could use the neutral after the meter, so to avoid
: having to call them out, but i see it needs confirmation from them, so
: better leave it to them!
:
: Do you think they charge for this?

Probably, on the basis that there's no real need for the change so far
as they are concerned and it costs them money to send a man round... I
can't see any real justification for you to change from what sounds like
a TN-S system (earth return via sheath) to a TN-C-S system (PME - earth
return via neutral) - you'll still need the earth rod for operation from
the generator in either case.

[...]

: That does not in itself make it a Protective *Multiple* Earth. It simply
: means that your generator output is not floating with regards to earth.
:
: You mention a generator transfer switch - you cannot and must not rely on
: PME earthing during a power failure, so you must have suitable earthing
: for
: generator use.
:
: That would explain the manual telling me to install a rod (which I have)
:
: Will it be ok to have the earth connected to both the neutral (Mains) and a
: rod (Generator) at the same time?

Probably yes, but again, this is something which I would confirm (in
witing!) with your electricity supplier. Sketch out the proposed circuit
arrangement (specifying cable sizes, etc.) and give them a bullet pointed
list of the main features. Remember that it is not impossible (but
fortunately quite difficult!) for you to electrocute the electricity
supplier's staff if you get this wrong so make sure they are happy. They
may not be willing to comment on your proposal but at the least should
specify what standard you should meet - probably either an electricity
supply industry standard or the appropriate parts of the IEE regs (or
both).

Don't forget that the supply from the generator will need to be protected
by a 100mA time delayed RCD unless you have something a lot more
impressive than the average earth rod (standard earthing rules for a TT
supply). It may also be necessary anyway due to high fault current loop
impedance as a result of the generator impedance (almost certainly will
be required for a little 800VA thingy). Hopefully it is obvious to you
that the connection between neutral and earth for the generator supply
should be on the generator (supply) side of the RCD.

Hope this helps,

Dale.