Posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair
tlvp tlvp is offline

Default They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 16:30:06 -0800, Savageduck commenting on

It's for nasty crashes, what else? And since those don't happen often
(especially in town driving), there's no point in wearing one.

wrote:

Except when you are rear-ended, or T-boned by texting fool.

There are more exceptions than that -- stopped at a light, once, behind a
city transit bus, in the right-most lane, I found the bus's back-up lights
suddenly turning on, and the bus actually backing up, right into my grille.

Seat/shoulder belt kept me from slamming into my steering wheel at the
moment of impact ... bus can't have been backing at more than 5-10 mph, but
that was enough to mangle front bumper, grille, radiator, hood, and both
front fenders.

Turns out it was a Driver Training bus with Student Bus Driver and Training
Instructor aboard, and Instructor had instructed Trainee (goodness knows
why) to back up ... . Instructor filled out accident report acknowledging
full financial responsibility, and the bus company ultimately covered full
cost of necessary repairs.

No belt, though, and I'd likely have smashed driving glasses, nose, and
teeth against my steering wheel, with manifold unpleasant consequences.

Cheers, -- tlvp