Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default Abysmal workmanship

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 21:45:48 -0500, Mike Marlow
wrote:

OFWW wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 22:30:45 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

I posted some photos to abpw.

I spent all day in a hotel conference room today... The hotel was completely
gutted and redone over the past year or so and only recently reopened under
a different brand. I got to looking at the alignment of the various outlets,
jacks and switches on one section of wall. I don't think any two of them
were installed at the same distance from the floor or ceiling or a level
line. What was also amusing is the location of the peep hole on the door...
note that the push bar is at the usual 36" from the floor. To see through
the peep hole you’d have to be at least 7 feet tall! How could anybody sign
off on such lousy work???

If the push bar was 36" then the peep hole looks like about 6 ft from
the photo I saw.

The room may have been two rooms, turned into one small conference
room, judging by the outlets and blank covers.

Not sure what part of the country you are in but I can tell you from
personal experience that most of it was just modified, with limited
remod. Typically they use their maintenance staff, and perhaps some
additional ones, looking for new hires. 90% of the redo's are just foo
foo stuff, wall paper, paint, beds, furniture and TV's. Re decorating
in large conference rooms, and only what mechanical stuff is actually
broken down and determined to be needed. Nowadays a lot of maintenance
staffing in the west are illegal's, and just a few tradesmen.

I laugh when I see signs of a million or 6 million dollar remods,
knowing the kitchen was no better than was before, the HVAC is in
miserable shape because the Hotel lessee's won't pay for it, since
they only manage the facilities, and the money owners put it off for
as long as they can. Yet requiring a co-op arrangement for repairs or
replacement depending on how large the facilities.

Except for brand new facilities or the better Hotels in Vegas where
they have to have A/C, I think of them like cheap painted whores. The
only good thing about a remod is that some wings actually have new
mattresses and are relatively "bug" free.

I'm not sure where a lot of you guys are from, or what your local codes
are, but i've seen a lot of remodel stuff in the North East and it is
not at all what I hear in this group. Maybe more people are just
talking out their butt than really having seen things, or maybe things
are just done differently in Texas...

I'm in Calif. I did commercial industrial HVAC, we had a lot of Hotels
and a few motels under contract for years From SB to SD and to all the
inland area's.

I was writing about the bulk of the jobs on renovations I have
personally seen. Anything new that was computer controlled was done by
outside contractors, but I have seen in house employee's even doing
copper re piping up to 4" dia. Thus circumventing the need for
inspectors.

I really doubt it is much different in Texas, as the major hotels and
motel chains are all controlled by their corporate offices, all who
would squeeze a buffalo nickel until it took a dump.