My father's son

Default Red stopped working on Dell monitor

Yes, I had that problem a few weeks ago and was amazed to find a completely
bent pin on the SVGA connector. I will plug my laptop into the SVGA cable
and see what happens

Sounds like too difficult to fix, after all if it were a bad solder joint a
whack should have done at least something?

"James Sweet" wrote in message
newsxbtb.198157$HS4.1681506@attbi_s01...

"My father's son" wrote in message
I have a Dell Ultrascan VC8N 21 inch monitor which, because of its size,

am reluctant to throw out. But the red has stopped working completely.
Nothing comes through at all. This isn't a driver or windows issue:

When
go to the screen settings on the XP desktop and try to check RED to

adjust
it, all I get is black. Not even a minimal amount of red, and obviously

no
red bleeding indicating that the tube itself is blowing

Is this sort of thing usually caused by something being knocked off the

back
of the CRT like the red gun? Or is it likely to be more serious than

that?
Is this a "Gently pull the CRT neck board off of the CRT and replace it"
problem? Or is it more likely an "if WHACK won't fix it (if only
momentarily), nothing will"

MFS

The cause is very likely a solder joint or a bad drive transistor on the
neck board, also don't rule out silly things like the cable or video card,

friend of mine was recently stumped working on his monitor and it turned

out
the green output of the video card had failed. Worst case you can take it

a shop and it'll likely be under $100 to fix. The tube is most certainly
*not* the problem.