Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Capacitor Venting

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 16:18:21 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

OK, it IS a 20 ohm resistor and the voltage across it giving rise to this
heating effect is 3.6V and given that this looks like about a 4W
resistor, makes no sense at all to me. It shouldn't even be getting warm.

The resistor in question is R1814 just to the right of the chopper
transistor on the schematic:

As the calculated power is less than 3/4 of a watt it should not be getting
hot. It may be that as this looks to be in a high frequency part of the
circuit the meter may not be giving the correct voltage. I would think it
would be some AC value, or maybe puslating DC as there is a diode there.
May show up as a better value if you measure across the coil that the diode
and resistor is across. Might even need a scope to show the true value.