Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default AquaTherm Furnace - No Hot Water Issue

PolarVortex wrote:
replying to eric, PolarVortex wrote:
eric wrote:

I live in a condo and have an AquaTherm furnace and my problem is I only

get
hot
water if I turn on the heat. It is not much of a problem in the colder

weather
but in the summer I have to put the heat on in order to get hot water. I

live in
Las Vegas (105 to 110 in the summer)
Thank for any and all help

Hi. A lot of folks especially in the US are not aware of these systems.
I have one in my condo as well in Ohio and faced a similar issue that you
described. It turns out that these systems have two check valves. The
valves only allow water to flow in one direction. If these fail the
water starts flowing in reverse and that is why you get lukewarm water
when the system is not on. I suggest replacing both the check valves to
fix this problem. You can pick up the check vales for around $12/each
online and call a plumber to replace them or do it yourself if you can
handle pipe fitting/soldering. If your system was installed without the
check valves, you should install one at the hot water intake and one at
the hot water outlet going back into the hot water heater.

What kind of condo is it? Condo board supposes to take care of things
like that in my case. Our xondo building has one big system for all
units. I don't live in condo. That is rental unit I keep in downtown.