Posted to alt.home.repair

Default no heat tonight

On 1/22/2016 8:44 AM, trader_4 wrote:

While on the subject of vents and screens, most of the condensing
furnaces around here have either no screen on the intake and exhaust
pipes or at most a very rough one, eg 1/2" openings. I have a Rheem
and the install manual specifically says not to place any kind of
screen on the openings. I think they are probably worried about
them freezing up, icing over. But you would think that it would
raise all kinds of problems, eg mice or similar deciding to take
up residence in the pipes or worse, the furnace during summer.

I got a no heat call, about three years ago. The
mousie had got in the exhaust, and chewed some
wires. The stench was extreme. The wires were
relatively easy to repair.

--
..
Christopher A. Young