Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.com is offline

Default Rural mailbox

I seem to recall that back when I was a kid living or visiting rural
places that the mailbox flag system was just the opposite of that
nowadays. Mailperson put the flag up when you received mail, instead of
putting it down when outgoing mail was picked ip. Makes more sense to me.
Probably amother false memory. Comments?

TIA

He did both. He put the flag down if he picked up mail and did not
deliver any. He put the flag up if he delivered mail but did not pick
any up. He left the flag up if he picked up and delivered mail. The
flag just meant "I need attention"

From what I remember anyway - but it's been over 45 years.

I remember the " rotate the mailbox " signal - same as the flag -
- mailbox facing the road means - something is here -
- mailbox facing parallel to the road means - I'm empty ...
I always understood that the flag meant the same thing -
used by the homeowner and by the mail-man.
This was for my area in southern Ontario Canada.
John t.