Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias[_3_] Mark Zacharias[_3_] is offline

Default Capacitor Venting

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 19:24:31 -0500, JC wrote:

For goodness sake, this is out of the PM3264 right? So what happens when
you put it in the scope?

I'm reluctant to do this until I'm sure the psu won't toast it.

I can't find your original posts on this but
these are not very complicated supplies and pretty reliable. Main fail
is the electrolytic caps, all of them will be useless, Philips blue caps
suck, they were never low ESR in the first place and from your photo it
looks like you haven't replaced any of them.

No, because I've tested all of them with one of these:

http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_esr70.html

and they all check out totally fine.

The hissing is probably the
1.5Kv from the transformer. Its a good scope if you can get it working.
Buy the manual. http://www.jetecnet.com/

Thankfully I've now managed to get a circuit for the psu section off the
net. That will be a *major* help. I'll be happy to buy the complete
manual if I can get the thing at least partly working.

Do look for a short to (cold) ground on the secondary, and if you can
isolate and open up that short (like by removing the shorted zener, if any)
then bring it up briefly on a variac and 'scope the dc line(s) for noise.
Remember to use an isolation transformer when servicing the primary circuit.

Mark Z.