Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Headphone socket on laptop?

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 10:23:19 -0000, "Kenny" wrote:

Acer laptop with combo headphone/mic socket.

Jack.

The tip of a 3.5m stereo jack

Plug

has detached inside the socket

Jack

and it's cutting off the speakers. If I put
the headphone jack with the missing tip back in the headphones work. \

Wow.

It was
either a poor quality plug or the socket gripped the plug so tightly it

Probably the first.

pulled the tip off. Problem now is getting the tip out of the socket
without damaging it.
This is not an easy laptop to dismantle, I recently fitted an SSD and it was
awkward work. Been wondering if I put a dab of superglue on the end of the
plug, push it in the socket, leave it for a while to set then pull it out

It sounds like a good idea. I've never gotten superglue to stick to
anything, not even my skin, but for some people it works.

Oh, you said put it on the end of the plug. No, don't do that, for
the reason you give blelow. Put it on the end of something thinner,
like round toothpick cut off square.

And in light of my dislike of superglue, maybe anotehr glue. I like
pc-70. It's not as runny as ... what's that other glue people like,
also grey, also 2-part

PC-70 takes 24 hours to get to be full strength, but this seems like
it's worth that.

will it bring the detached part out with it? An obvious pitfall is that the
whole plug would then become lodged in the socket!
Any ideas anyone?

Kenny Cargill