Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default verizon wireless 411 directory assistance stinks

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 9:33:07 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 12:16:40 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
I am on the road repairing mostly roll laminating machines most of the day. I have the customers call my landline number, to a answering machine, a basic call drop..

when in heavy traffic or working on customers machines i dont want to be taking phone calls

So, let me see if I understand your process and problem. Some of this replay
will be "facts" (based on your postings) and some will be assumptions that I
am making by piecing together your various responses. Please correct any
"facts" and assumptions if I may have gotten them wrong.

1 - Your customers leave messages on an answering machine on a landline.
2 - Your customers leave messages and you can understand their name, but you
can't understand the phone number they left.
3 - These are not "known" customers, because if they were, I assume you would
have their numbers in a file and you could look them up.
4 - Your answering machine does not have a call log that you can access or
you are retrieving the messages remotely and don't have access to the log.
5 - You are using the understandable information from the message so
that you can call directory assistance while driving to your next stop. I
assume that means that only the phone numbers are not understandable.
6 - There are enough of these un-understandable phone numbers that it is worth
the money you are spending to have access to a directory assistance service.
7 - You are willing to call this directory assistance service while driving to
your next stop, but only if traffic is light.

Does that about sum it up?

thats a pretty good description. plus my customers are primarily schools, most use large phone systems. the caller id numbers vary a lot, if i call a caller id number back its often a random main number.

the issue was 411 worked perfect for me, till verizoin ruined it.

Incidently i have had GPS forever. my first one cost over 600 bucks and paid for itself in less than a month, in time saved....