Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 00:35:40 -0000, Muggles wrote:

On 1/21/2016 2:39 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 20:33:37 -0000, Your Name wrote:

In article , Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 02:48:50 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/20/2016 8:10 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

It's just communication. Do you object to people talking to each
other
face to face? How about phoning each other? What's the difference?
It's all communication. What about people like you who chat on
newsgroups?

Not that simple. Two people talking in the car is less distracting
and
as the driver you can easily ignore the other person whule your brain
copes with the traffic condition of that moment. Same with
ignoring the
radio.

Phone conversations can be more intense. Less so for a quick call to
pick up bread on the way home than trying to give tech support on a
broken machine.

Firstly I was talking about the objection of people using phones while
standing in the pavement.

Secondly I disagree, a phone conversation is just talking, it's not
"more
intense". The only difference is the person is not visible. In fact
with
someone in the passenger seat you might be tempted to look at them while
speaking. Since that's not possible on a phone, a phonecall is LESS
distracting.

Nope. Tests have shown that cellphone conversations can be more
distracting and dangerous than talking with a passenger. The passenger
can see what's happening and knows to shut up at particularly dangerous
points and can even help out by checking traffic in the opposite
direction, etc. The person on the other end of the phonecall simply
keeps blabbering on.

Also, many people ridiculously seem to think that because it's a
phonecall it is more "important" and so they concentrate more on it
than they do on an "unimportant" conversation with a passenger.

Your second paragraph explains my point well. Only a complete and utter
moron will prioritise a phonecall over driving. In everyday life, we
are constantly prioritising without even thinking about it. And there
is no reason to penalise sensible folk by making it illegal to do two
things at once, just because a few morons are incapable of it. If I'm
driving along with my phone to my ear, and I need to swerve round
something, I will simply drop the phone. I have done so in the past.

Funny thing happened today as I was at a light waiting for light to
change. I was in the left turn lane facing north, and the highway
traffic coming off the highway heading across my path showed a police
car going past me and the cop driving was talking on his cell phone.

I just shook my head as I watched him drive past me.

Cops are much better trained at driving so I doubt he had much problem.

--
*Squawk!* Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine! [Parroty error]