Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Headphone socket on laptop?

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 6:54:52 AM UTC-5, Kenny wrote:
Didn't realise it was so common a problem, have a few YT videos to look at
later.

Kenny

"Kenny" wrote in message
om...

Acer laptop with combo headphone/mic socket. The tip of a 3.5m stereo jack
has detached inside the socket and it's cutting off the speakers. If I put
the headphone jack with the missing tip back in the headphones work. It was
either a poor quality plug or the socket gripped the plug so tightly it
pulled the tip off. Problem now is getting the tip out of the socket
without damaging it.
This is not an easy laptop to dismantle, I recently fitted an SSD and it was
awkward work. Been wondering if I put a dab of superglue on the end of the
plug, push it in the socket, leave it for a while to set then pull it out
will it bring the detached part out with it? An obvious pitfall is that the
whole plug would then become lodged in the socket!
Any ideas anyone?

Kenny Cargill

Videos are a good place to start. If you have to take it apart, a
video can save you hours as well as prevent you from damaging it.

But the superglue idea sounds like it might work. You'd have to use
a small amount though, so like you said, it doesn't foul the whole
thing up. I'd use the thicker, gel type.