Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moc is offline

Default no heat tonight

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 21:29:51 -0500, wrote:

When the fuel needs to be stored for a long time, propane is a better
choice than butane. It stores well in variable weather conditions and
even below freezing temperature will not affect the storage conditions
of propane because of its propetries. When people need to go camping,
hiking or mountain climbing, especially in cold weather, propane is
preferred over butane as a fuel for cooking. Since propane gas is

I know all too well that a butane cigarette lighter will not light when
it's very cold. If I leave a lighter in my car in cold weather I have to
hold it in my hand for several minutes, or by a car's heater output
before that lighter will light. The flint will throw sparks, but no
flame.

Another thing about those lighters. NEVER let one fall down the defrost
vent opening on the dashboard. When the heater gets hot enough, the
lighters literally explode. More than once I was driving and suddenly
there's a loud bang, and chunks of plastic are flying all over the car.
Talk about having a panic attack. Especially the first time it happened.
There was never any flame, but it's still frightening. Fortunatly it
never happened when I was in heavy traffic. Could have caused an
accident.

I wont happen again, I fastened a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth (screen)
over those vents. Just embedded the screen in silicone caulk around the
edge of the vent. It's not just the exploding lighters, but pens,
pencils and all sorts of other stuff would fall down those vents. I
found that after one exploding lighter blew the hose off the vent under
the dash.

I always wondered why they dont put some sort of screen on those vents
at the factory.