Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Rural mailbox

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 15:27:21 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On 21 Jan 2016 17:43:05 GMT, KenK wrote:

It would be nice to have something to use with my rural mailbox to tell if
the mail has come when I don't have any outgoing. I oten forget to check by
that late in the afternoon - busy with other things like making my supper.
My delivery time varies, I suspect because different deliverers. Currently
it's late in the afternoon, sometimes after 4 PM.

I'e not tried Googling yet.

Way back in 1957 there were lots of devices that did this. They set
a yellow flag that we could see from our house 120 feet from the box.

It had to be reset every time the box was emptied.

google yellow mailbox flag or mail.

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Mail...-Flag/27047336
http://www.amazon.com/Yall-Got-Mail-.../dp/B000BKKZJA
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...llow+mail+flag

Oours only had 3 metal parts counting the yellow flag, plus a screw
and a metal weight. Ours used the weight to make the flag go up.
Others used a mechanical arm forced down by the door to pull up the
flag.

I think a radio would be fine if you couldn't even see the mailbox,
but otherwise it's far more cost and trouble than need be.

TIA