Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default verizon wireless 411 directory assistance stinks

On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 2:26:47 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, January 21, 2016 at 11:10:17 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
I am the OP, and have a small business fixing office equiptement.

so the customer calls, leaves a long message, and rushes thru their actual call back number,

while driving to my next stop, i call 411 to get the number, which verizon texts to me, so i can add it to me phone book.

but since i drive all day stopping to use a smart phone isnt practical...

Why do you have to stop to use a smart phone?

Dialing is dialing. In fact, with a smart phone, you could even set it up for
voice dialing, voice texting, voice just-about-everything. That's even safer than dialing your flip(?) phone.

What am I missing?

Not clear how one gets the call back number from 411 either.
When someone leaves a voicemail mesg with a call back number, it
could be any number, so what number do you ask 411 for? Even if
it's all businesses you deal with, I would think some people would
leave their cell phone # as the call back. And like you say, even
with my old non-smart phone, the phone log had a list of missed calls.
One would think between listening to the voicemail and then looking
at the log, if the call is on there, you could easily figure out
which one it was. Also there are apps like Youmail, that most carriers
systems will support, that lets you see a list of all your voicemails,
you can then tap on any one to listen to them in any order, see who
they are from, what number, etc. Youmail also has voice to text,
how well that works though, if it can accurately change the number
left of voicemail into text, IDK.

I can't imagine being in a business, on the road, and not having
a smartphone. Simple example, if you needed to pull up a data sheet,
a manual, find a price, etc, you can do it on a smartphone. Not as
convenient as on a PC or an iPad, but if you need to read one or two
pages, it can easily save the day, save an additional trip, etc.