Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default DOOR BELL SAGA - PART II

In ,
Kate typed:
I decided to start a new post as an update.

I am waiting for a call from the electrician to trouble shoot my
problem with the door bell light going out every two months or so.

Someone suggested that I call the company that makes the doorbell
kit. I did, and they told me that they have never had a problem
where the diode takes out a push button light. Their guess is that I
have too large of a transformer powering my chime and push button,
just as many have mentioned on this site.

I am now sitting here and wondering why my back door bell button
light has never burned out, and yet the front door one has been
replaced a lot.

Can anyone tell me if this still sounds like a transformer problem?
I wish I would have thought of this earlier and asked the guy who
helped me on the phone.

Sorry to be such a pest.

Thanks everyone!

Kate

I have been following the original thread and this new one about the door
bell saga.

My thinking is that it probably isn't worth trying to solve the puzzle and
especially if it involves paying an a electrician again. You already did a
lot, including changing the switch a number of times, trying to figure out
what a transformer looks like and where it may be, calling the manufacturer,
etc.

I think that trying to now buy a multimeter or any other diagnostic device,
and then trying to figure out how and where to use it to hopefully diagnose
the problem, and possibly paying an electrician again is not worth the time
and money.

My suggestion is to just buy a whole new hardwired door bell kit --
including the transformer etc. -- that is the type and style that you want
to have. Then, have a handyman/woman-type person install the new one and
completely remove and replace the old one -- including the transformer and
all.

Who knows what's wrong with the system that you have now, but unless you
want to become an expert in diagnosing and solving the mystery of the door
bell button light problem, it would make more sense to just replace the
whole system.

Good luck.