Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 02:48:50 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/20/2016 8:10 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

It's just communication. Do you object to people talking to each other
face to face? How about phoning each other? What's the difference?
It's all communication. What about people like you who chat on newsgroups?

Not that simple. Two people talking in the car is less distracting and
as the driver you can easily ignore the other person whule your brain
copes with the traffic condition of that moment. Same with ignoring the
radio.

Phone conversations can be more intense. Less so for a quick call to
pick up bread on the way home than trying to give tech support on a
broken machine.

Firstly I was talking about the objection of people using phones while standing in the pavement.

Secondly I disagree, a phone conversation is just talking, it's not "more intense". The only difference is the person is not visible. In fact with someone in the passenger seat you might be tempted to look at them while speaking. Since that's not possible on a phone, a phonecall is LESS distracting.

--
Cindy once remarked to her dentist that she didn't know what would be worse - having a baby, or having a tooth pulled.
The Dentist replied, "Well make up your mind, Cindy - because I need to know which way to position the chair."