Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan[_6_] ChairMan[_6_] is offline

Default verizon wireless 411 directory assistance stinks

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/20/2016 9:04 PM, bob haller wrote:
First i dont have a smart phone and really dont want one.

i have kept verizon all these years because directory
assistance
worked great..... untill recently. they have tried to
automate it. making it nearly
useless. i complained at a verizon store the manager said
and I quote. that
service is provided by a contractor and verizon has no
control over
it..... yeah sure. I pay 2 bucks per 411 call so why
make it
unusable? I asked the idiot store manager for a verizon
CEOs complaint contact
number. the gal said there isnt one. the gal added if you
want to complain futher contact your
congressman... so i am shopping for a new cell phone
provider. or a paid 411
service that has humans and really works

Get a smart phone and the Yellow Pages app and look up the
number
yourself. I've not used 411 in 20 years.

here's bit of useful info for cells that most people don't
know

For all the folks with cell phones. (This should be printed
and kept in your car, purse, and wallet. Good information to
have with you.)

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave
emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver
or an emergency tool for survival.
Check out the things that you can do with it:
FIRST (Emergency)
The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you
find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile
network and there is an Emergency, dial 112 and the mobile
will search any existing network to establish the emergency
number for you, and interestingly, this number 112 can be
dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.
SECOND (Hidden Battery Power)
Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press
the keys *3370#. Your cell phone will restart with this
reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in
battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your
cell phone next time.
THIRD (How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone? )
To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the
following Digits on your phone: *#06#
A 15-digit code will appear on the screen. This number is
unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere
safe.
If your phone is stolen, you can phone your service provider
and give them this code. They will then be able to block
your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your
phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your
phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it
can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there
would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

And Finally.... FOURTH (Free Directory Service for Cells)
Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more
for 411 information calls when they don't have to. Most of
us do not carry a telephone directory in our vehicle, which
makes this situation even more of a problem. When you need
to use the 411 information option, simply dial: (800)
FREE411 or (800) 373-3411
without incurring any charge at all. Program this into your
cell phone now. This is sponsored by McDonalds.