Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit breaker keeps tripping

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 3:11:19 PM UTC-5, E. Robinson wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:21:41 -0700, Don Y wrote:

And, it's NOT a GFCI circuit? And, it's a 120V line?

Is the breaker a single breaker? Or, a "dual" (though NOT 220V)?

I have no idea what the circuit is yet, but it has at least three
built in switched lights on it.

It's a single breaker (not ganged), but it seems to be in a dual package.

Here it is in the off position (top right, 4th down, 15 amp).
http://i65.tinypic.com/i5692c.jpg

Here it trips the instant I try to set it to on.
http://i66.tinypic.com/2ec2kol.jpg

If it makes no attempt to catch, it sounds like a mechanically bad breaker.

You can trythis to confirm it..... without even removing the panel.......

Turn off the main breaker.

Now try to turn on the bad breaker.

If it still does not catch even with the main off, the breaker is definilty bad.

If it does catch with the main off then turn the main back on.

If it immediatly trips, you may have a bad breaker or you may have a wiring fault.

Now you need to remove the panel to troubleshoot further.

When removing the panel, turn off the main breaker, wear rubber shoes or sneaks and stand on a carpet, and keep BOTH hands on the panel.

What you don't want to do is have one hand on the panel and one hand on the box.

This way, if you slip and the loose panel hits a live wire, you won't be shocked, but it may make a he** of a spark.