Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Update: Three phase wiring question

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 10:45:20 -0800 (PST)
rangerssuck wrote:

snip
I mentioned all this to my brother who is an electronics
tech at a large USPS facility. He told me about the time
they lost a phase and had to replace a LOT of contactor
contacts and other stuff. A lot of noise and smoke.

I got to replace something like a 5hp 3-phase motor for an
air compressor once at the County Road Commission. They lost a phase and
the compressor tried to run on the remaining two. Rather than pull the
disconnect for it the guys in the shop just watched it kill itself over
a period of time...

Really hard place for an outside tech to work. End up with a bloody
tongue before long...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b