Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default screw through clips: u clips, spire clips?

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 11:07:11 +0000, Stephen wrote:

I am looking for something but do not know what it is called. It is a
clip that you attach to one sheet of metal and then screw into a hole in
that clip, through another sheet of metal, holding the two pieces of
metal together.

Googling has found me some of what I am looking for:

Looking on the internet, Halfords call them u-clips:
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-too...uipment/fuses-

electricals-fixings/halfords-assorted-u-clips-screws

ebay calls them spire clips:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speed-Fast...-Auto-Captive-

Screw-Size-6-8-10-12-14-Nut-Clip-/261983357122

What is the proper or most common name for these, as I am hoping that
knowing that will help me find more sellers, so that I can track down a
good quality item at a good price from somewhere near me or somewhere
with cheap delivery.

I've just ordered some from a random 'bay seller - they use the terms "u-
clip, speed clip, chimney nut, motorcycle fairing clip" in their
description alone.

Any of those should find a source - I'll let you know what the quality of
these is like when they get here. 25 x M8 for £9 delivered.