Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick Phallic Dick Phallic is offline

Default Circuit breaker keeps tripping

On 01/20/2016 02:04 AM, E. Robinson wrote:
How do I debug when a circuit breaker keeps tripping?

1. It has never tripped before (years).
2. Yesterday, it was tripped.
3. I flip it back on, and it trips immediately.
4. It controls a bunch of outlets and lights and that's about it.

I turn off the lights it controls.
I unplug all the outlets.

It still trips.

How do you debug these things?

I'd start by disconnecting the load at the breaker and then see if the breaker still trips.

If the breaker is OK, then I'd start removing and disconnecting outlets and switches on the affected circuit until I found the problem.

You didn't recently nail/screw/install something on a wall, did you?