Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default Jenn Air Electric Range - Fan came on by itself and ran all night

On 1/17/16 1:44 PM, Jean wrote:
We have a Jenn Air Electric Range. After cooking dinner I turned fan off
immediately as cannot stand the noise.
In the morning my partner heard fan running. It would not switch off so
he unplugged.
I know I turned the switch off. How could it start up on its own.

I had a real old Jenn Air downdraft electric range and some of the
heating coils would spontaneously come on with the controller
switch/dial was in the OFF position. Turns out some liquid (water,
cleaning spray, and/or boil-over)) had gotten under the dial and down
into the switch and shorted it out.

Ended up replacing all the switches (including the one for the fan) and
rewiring the 120v circuits in oven. End of problem. I'd still have it
but replaced all appliances during a kitchen redo.

--
Want to close wage gap? Step one: Change your major from Gender Studies
or Feminist Dance Therapy to Electrical Engineering.