Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Immersion heater.

"N_Cook" wrote in message
On 17/01/2016 18:40, Ian Field wrote:
Thinking ahead just in case it blows...............

The issue is length - I could measure the outside dimensions of the
tank, but without taking the element out there's no guarantee there's no
obstructions inside - and I could just measure the element if I took it
out.

The easy way out is to buy one of the shorter folded elements, but I'm
wondering if the effect on convection would be good or bad.

The tank is square, not cylindrical.

Thanks for any help.

The other issue is undoing without deforming the ever thinner copper of
the tank. Heat up the thread section with a blow lamp before attempting to
undo . Moderate torque plus tapping spanner with hammer , before upping
the torque.

The local DIY store offers a very flimsy looking pressed steel spanner that
won't put enough torque on the element to do any damage.

There's a more robust looking box spanner on Ebay that would apply the
torque with less risk of buckling.

The last element came out surprisingly easily - so I'm remaining optimistic.