Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default milling slot question

fired this volley in
:

Pretty difficuld to do with a shaper to get a clean cut at the base
of the cut (end of the slot) unless cutting across the stock (1 inch
cut) and then to cut 3/16" wide and 1 3/6" deep would be some fun - -

It's pretty difficult to get a clean, well-matched cut when you have to
flip the work and cut a 'half-slot' on each side, too.

If you don't have the capability to cut a slot that deep, likely you
don't have the tools or experience to get the work perfectly-registered
on the flip, either.

Besides, cutting two 'features' on opposite sides of a piece of stock so
they meet in the middle is NOT "milling a slot". It's exactly what I
just described in the prior sentence.

Rule of thumb -- if you don't have the tools or ability, then farm it out
to someone who does!

I'm not an 'experimental' pilot, but I am a pilot. I know somthing about
how planes are put together (yeah, even the structural parts, having
helped A&Ps over many hundreds of hours, just so I'd learn something). I
seriously doubt that a mating feature like that need be as accurate as
you're demanding in order to be robust and safe. If play is problem,
mill the parts for a too-tight fit, and adjust for perfection with hand
tools.

Lloyd